Each episode begins and ends with a live action sequence, narrated by Daniel (Tommy's dog), in which Tommy is faced with a dilemma. Daniel will pose the question "What should Tommy do? What would Tommy Zoom do?" The show then switches to animation to show Tommy Zoom foiling a plot by Polluto which has some link to whatever problem the real Tommy currently faces. After saving the world "in a zoom", the live action element is re-introduced, and Tommy is seen to make the right choices and solve whatever problem he has.
- Tommy Zoom - A child superhero, complete with cape and large Z imprinted on his chest.
- Daniel - Tommy's dog and sidekick, who often discovers the problem. He is voiced by Jerome Flynn.
- Polluto - A light blue imp or an alien with rotten teeth, and is Tommy's enemy. who aims to ruin the world by removing all greenery and polluting watercourses with chemicals. He wears a smart purple suit. He is voiced by Keith Wickham.
- Smogg - A lazy black cat, Polluto's sidekick. Smogg's whiskers are bent and he has a huge, cheeky smile
Other Characters[edit source]Edit
These all appear in the live-action segments.
- Real Life Tommy - Causes problems around the house before transforming into Tommy Zoom, never speaks, played by Nathaniel Gleed.
- Real Life Daniel - Narrator of the story.
- Mum - Sometimes seen walking around the house, never speaks.
- Dad - Sometimes seen walking around the house, never speaks.
- Baby Sam - Sometimes seen eating at the table. Sometimes laughs, but never speaks.
- ^Description of Tommy Zoom for adults at BBC's CBeebies web site